Jump to content

Welcome to Drugbuyersguide

VII

Alternatives to anti-depressant medications to treat depression.

Recommended Posts

VII

As the topic states, this thread was created with the intentions on obtaining useful information for alternatives to anti-depressant medication for people that suffer from depression. 

I can't be put on any anti-depressant, I get horrible reactions and side effects to them and I'm unaware of any alternatives. Perhaps anyone here would know of any? 

As a note, you name the anti-depressant I've probably been on it. That's my main issue and why I created this thread. Perhaps others will find this helpful aswell.

Regards,

-VII

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smoka90

I think you may benefit from doing research into so-called 'atypical antidepressants', mirtazapine is one of them and quite effective. I have never been on Bupropion, but know it is quite different and its chemical structure is actually based on a cathinone! It does have its own risks, the main one being it may lower the seizure threshold, and I think it may have a few interactions...

There are also the older, tricyclic anti-depressants like Amitriptyline. They have mostly been replaced by the nasty SSRIs, but I know of people that have had good results from them...

I know these aren't alternatives to anti-depressants, but they're certainly alternatives to the 'status quo' that is currently been prescribed.

There is also Kanna, a herb (I think it's ground up leaf) that works as a Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. As far as I know, some prefer it over SSRIs. It has a similar mechanism of action, but may have less side effects for you.

Always be aware of serotonin syndrome, though. Don't go mixing things. Keep safe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PTFC

I take mirtazipine myself, after trying many others, that was the one that finally worked for me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tranaxfan
17 minutes ago, PTFC said:

I take mirtazipine myself, after trying many others, that was the one that finally worked for me. 

I took it for many years, worked wonders for me too, except for the weight gain. Then it became ineffective so I started taking the modern SSRI's (Zoloft, Paxil) and couldn't bear all the nasty side effects. Now am off all anti-depressants and to my surprise I have not had a major relapse of depression. It's been six months now (knock on wood).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smoka90

I'm a little scared to come off mirtazapine; it's been three years now on 45mg. I'm still depressed as it is so god knows what it'd be like if I came off it.

The weight gain/increased appetiete does put people off mirtazapine, but it can be controlled. Taking it very last thing at night helps, as when first on it I used to binge about an hour after taking it. Increased exercise also, I used to do a lot of press ups when first on it (used to, as in, not anymore!). Lots of soluble fibre (flaxseed is perfect) will help keep your gut moving.

All this goes with time as well; I no longer get sedated by it and my appetiete is normal, or at least, back to the way it was. My eating habits have never been normal.

So all in all I would say it's very effective, or at least it has been for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VII
1 hour ago, Smoka90 said:

I'm a little scared to come off mirtazapine; it's been three years now on 45mg. I'm still depressed as it is so god knows what it'd be like if I came off it.

The weight gain/increased appetiete does put people off mirtazapine, but it can be controlled. Taking it very last thing at night helps, as when first on it I used to binge about an hour after taking it. Increased exercise also, I used to do a lot of press ups when first on it (used to, as in, not anymore!). Lots of soluble fibre (flaxseed is perfect) will help keep your gut moving.

All this goes with time as well; I no longer get sedated by it and my appetiete is normal, or at least, back to the way it was. My eating habits have never been normal.

So all in all I would say it's very effective, or at least it has been for me.

So what you're describing is it didn't fully assist you with depression? I've been taking more time into researching Mirtazapine and it seems that it may work for me. I will consult with my doctor about this class of medication seeing I've never heard of it until you told me about it. Sounded too good to be true out of honesty!

I'm glad you've had at most more success with this medication more than anything. All medications no matter what it is will have a negative impact on you rather it's down the road or a generalized side effect so it's to be expected. 

This may sound out of bounds here which you do not have to answer this question if you're uncomfortable but it might help, during depression episodes how does Mirtazapine personally make you feel? Does it stop the depression for a short period of time or do you feel uplifted and motivated, so on and so on as an example. The reason I ask is to see what I may expect if I get on this medication to treat my depression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Biteme

If you don't get an effect from the SSRI's your depression may not involve just your serotonin levels. If, for instance, your depression is focused on being unable to find pleasure in anything, it may involve the dopaminergic system. In that case something Dopa Mucuna also known as velvet bean extract might help. I don't take SSRIs anymore because I'm on trams & they work for most of the day-to-day depressive symptoms I used to get but when I have a really dark, joyless day the Dopa Mucuna pulls me out of it. You can it from Amazon or some of the Kratom sellers here.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VII
24 minutes ago, Biteme said:

If you don't get an effect from the SSRI's your depression may not involve just your serotonin levels. If, for instance, your depression is focused on being unable to find pleasure in anything, it may involve the dopaminergic system. In that case something Dopa Mucuna also known as velvet bean extract might help. I don't take SSRIs anymore because I'm on trams & they work for most of the day-to-day depressive symptoms I used to get but when I have a really dark, joyless day the Dopa Mucuna pulls me out of it. You can it from Amazon or some of the Kratom sellers here.

 

I get very negative effects from SSRI's. I can feel it helping in a sense but there's too many negative aspects about the class of medication to really consider me even trying SSRI's again. 

I've never heard of Dopa Mucuna, but just searching it seems to be an herbal substance. I'd say Kratom would be slightly better in this particular case seeing I've never had luck with herbal blends-- generally get ripped off for the most part so I'm personally staying away from them. I'm also staying away from Kratom due to the class it's under. It's a very unique drug to say none the less but under my specific circumstances it may not be the best choice after reviewing everything.

It does seem that atypical anti-depressants might be down my ally though, would still love to hear reviews about everything stated above though and experience stories. I'm open minded to this stuff, tried mostly everything so anything new like this sparks my interest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smoka90
14 hours ago, VII said:

So what you're describing is it didn't fully assist you with depression? I've been taking more time into researching Mirtazapine and it seems that it may work for me. I will consult with my doctor about this class of medication seeing I've never heard of it until you told me about it. Sounded too good to be true out of honesty!

I'm glad you've had at most more success with this medication more than anything. All medications no matter what it is will have a negative impact on you rather it's down the road or a generalized side effect so it's to be expected. 

This may sound out of bounds here which you do not have to answer this question if you're uncomfortable but it might help, during depression episodes how does Mirtazapine personally make you feel? Does it stop the depression for a short period of time or do you feel uplifted and motivated, so on and so on as an example. The reason I ask is to see what I may expect if I get on this medication to treat my depression.

Well, I don't think anything would ever fully assist me with depression, that is, I'll always have it. I've been on Fluoxetine and Citalopram (both SSRIs) and Mirtazapine was far more helpful.

With your last question, it's hard to answer, for many reasons. My memory is screwed, I've been on it a long time, I have at least three other chemicals in me on a daily basis, sometimes more, so there's so many different factors. Also, mirtazapine is more of a 'background' thing with a long half-life.

But when you first go on it, there is an instant effect, and that is pure sleepiness. I was binge drinking at the time so that might have made it worse, but most people report strong sedation with it. So if you have trouble sleeping, or if being asleep would be some sort of refuge (it is for me), then it will definitely help in the first few weeks and months.

I hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VII
On 4/24/2016 at 9:52 AM, Smoka90 said:

Well, I don't think anything would ever fully assist me with depression, that is, I'll always have it. I've been on Fluoxetine and Citalopram (both SSRIs) and Mirtazapine was far more helpful.

With your last question, it's hard to answer, for many reasons. My memory is screwed, I've been on it a long time, I have at least three other chemicals in me on a daily basis, sometimes more, so there's so many different factors. Also, mirtazapine is more of a 'background' thing with a long half-life.

But when you first go on it, there is an instant effect, and that is pure sleepiness. I was binge drinking at the time so that might have made it worse, but most people report strong sedation with it. So if you have trouble sleeping, or if being asleep would be some sort of refuge (it is for me), then it will definitely help in the first few weeks and months.

I hope this helps.

Yeah that's the problem with depression, meds can only ligten the effect for a short period of time for the most part. 

Thank you for sharing your experience with the medication, from what I've read so far online and from the users here it seems this might be the medication I've been looking for. I'll be consulting my doctor as soon as possible, thank you all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smoka90

I wish you the best of luck with it. =) Finding the right medication is so, so difficult, but explore every option, and I'm confident you will find something that will benefit you.

Golden rule is don't go into it expecting a magic cure, only a slight relief...it's grim, but realistic I suppose.

Best foot foward mate! =)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VII
On 4/27/2016 at 5:25 PM, Smoka90 said:

I wish you the best of luck with it. =) Finding the right medication is so, so difficult, but explore every option, and I'm confident you will find something that will benefit you.

Golden rule is don't go into it expecting a magic cure, only a slight relief...it's grim, but realistic I suppose.

Best foot foward mate! =)

Thanks for the kind words, @Smoka90. I believe I found the one for me, but I'm not fully sure yet. It'll take some time to adjust to the medication and see if it really is helping or not. 

Regards,

-VII

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smoka90

Glad to hear you're making progress, and yes, it can take weeks sometimes to figure out whether a medication is suitable. I hope it works for you. =)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VII
On 5/1/2016 at 5:26 PM, Smoka90 said:

Glad to hear you're making progress, and yes, it can take weeks sometimes to figure out whether a medication is suitable. I hope it works for you. =)

After thinking this through, pardon me not responding right away I just had to put some thought into it along with experience-- I seem to simply need to stay away from them. I shouldn't need a medication for this to make me feel happy even though most of the time I'm depressed, there's more natural alternatives to that. 

It's very hard to stay optimistic while being depressed, however changing specific smells (incense, air freshener, and so forth) along with a change of music to more energetic and happier music seems to ease it up. The medications I'm already on seem to have similar effects so I don't think going on anything else specifically for depression would be ideal...no need to make my tacklebox full of pills that I need to take daily even bigger if I'm getting the same or similar effects from a different medication that I'm currently on.

Thanks though, I will keep everything in mind just as an alternative if it gets worse.

Regards,

-VII

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smoka90

Things like meditation, yoga, eating raw cauliflower etc., they're definitely the right way to approach treatment, I guess. It takes a strong person to go down that road, though... but seen as though you're already cutting down, it might be the road for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...