Welcome to Drugbuyersguide

Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Codean

Does lack of sleep cause Diabetes or does Diabetes cause lack of sleep?

Kurt Codean

Hello all, sometimes I wonder if I have diabetes or pre-diabetic symptoms. Usually I worry about this when I have sleepless nights like yesterday. I wasn't able to get to sleep all night, and have been trying to take a nap during the day but can't seem to drift off into la la land. So I've been up for over 24 hours and usually when I'm up this long my body feels really weak, groggy, and just a feeling of poor health in general. I think I am a bit overweight too, and I have been drinking a lot of Soda and sweet juices lately. Also I have been smoking for the past few months. I'm going to try to quit smoking when I finish the rest of my pack today, and hopefully once I quit smoking, I will start to eat and drink more sensibly. But I have these episodes of insomnia quite often and I wonder if this could be a sign of diabetes? When I do sleep well I don't worry about it because I feel okay but when I go a whole night without sleeping I start to behave like a hypochondriac, especially with thoughts of diabetes, because of my weight and lifestyle right now. I'm not super obese or anything, but I could stand to lose about 20 pounds. I don't know why I have trouble sleeping but it's been a reoccurring problem for me for quite a while now as I have mentioned more than once on this message forum. I guess the only way to know for sure is to see a doctor and have him check my blood sugar levels. The last time I had blood work done was back in 2013 or 2014 and there wasn't anything abnormal when the results came in. I think I will bring this up when I see my doctor next time, but I'm not sure if I should make a separate appointment with a general practitioner to check this because my next doctor appointment is with my pain management doctor, and I usually spend 5 minutes in his office and just get refills for my scripts. And he's usually pretty busy so I don't know If I should ask that doctor about it unless there aren't that many people in his office next time I go. 

Caver

I know this is a old thread but someone can benefet from it.Ask him for a HGBA1C and yes diabetes can cause a myriad of signs and symptoms also the ones you described.

• Like 1

MEOWWWW

Like Caver said an A1C will tell you for sure if you have diabetes. The main symptoms of it are having to pee all the time, no matter how much you drink- your still thristy, blurry vision, vomiting, and weight loss. You can purchase a glucose meter from Walmart for cheap. At midnight stop eating and drinking. Then at 8-9 am check your blood sugar. If its 135 or above- see a doctor asap. 

• Like 1

2earls

I'm borderline diabetic and most of the time I can keep my blood sugar under control with a couple types of pills.

My tip is for anyone who is diabetic to watch out if they are prescribed Prednisone. It caused my blood sugar  to skyrocket and had all of the symptoms @MEOWWWW described and it was just crazy.

I had to pee every 15 minutes and that is a difficult side effect to live with. I found myself peeing by the side of the road and behind businesses. I know that sounds disgusting, but I absolutely could not hold it. So Prednisone + diabetes = adult diapers.

Never want that experience again but Prednisone is a must for treating certain ailments such as asthma. It just has a lot of side affects and high blood sugar is a big one.

• Like 1

MEOWWWW
9 hours ago, 2earls said:

I'm borderline diabetic and most of the time I can keep my blood sugar under control with a couple types of pills.

My tip is for anyone who is diabetic to watch out if they are prescribed Prednisone. It caused my blood sugar  to skyrocket and had all of the symptoms @MEOWWWW described and it was just crazy.

I had to pee every 15 minutes and that is a difficult side effect to live with. I found myself peeing by the side of the road and behind businesses. I know that sounds disgusting, but I absolutely could not hold it. So Prednisone + diabetes = adult diapers.

Never want that experience again but Prednisone is a must for treating certain ailments such as asthma. It just has a lot of side affects and high blood sugar is a big one.

I agrrr with you on the Presdnisone/ steriods. I'm a type 1 diabetic. It came out of no where when I was 20 years old. I have to take around 6 insulin shots per day. I had to get steroid shots while I was in labor with my son. My blood sugar was 500+ for two days after I was given the injection. I couldn't figure out why it was so high; especially since I had barley ate. My endocrinologist told me that it was due to the steroid shots. At the time- I had been diagnosed with diabetes for over 10 years and I never knew that steroids would cause haywire blood sugar. I wish that I would have known ahead of time. 

Clickboy

Just found out i have diabetes II , great input on this tread

clickboy

porkandbeansboy

Well this is certainly good Information for Me to remember... as my Dr. says I'm fine right now but Diabetes is a complicated Disease. 

delawaredrew
On 3/8/2017 at 11:30 PM, 2earls said:

Weird, never heard the prednisone/blood sugar link. 2 years ago I had one high a1c result and a year later 1 borderline result. After which the doc has me taking pills and monitoring my BG. I did have a powerpack of prednisone to reduce swelling/pain in joints at some point near the really high test point. I'll need to look back at records because my 2x daily test isn't bad, rarely over 100.

Edited by delawaredrew