Countdown To Christmas!

Kurt Codean

Does anyone here have an addiction and doesn't smoke cigarettes?

2earls

I'm a smoker which is nothing I'm proud of, but @aintnouse put it well. I enjoy the damn things! It was the first of a string of on and off addictions. I went along with whatever the trend of the moment was, like going through a "phase". Now, I don't do much recreationally. Got most of that out of my system, except for a rare wild night. I take pain pills for pain and a better quality of life and while I am surely dependant on them, I don't see it quite the same as the other things I did.

• Like 2

YuckMan

I smoked cigarettes for years and years. I've been using electronic cigarettes for the past 5 years though, only because it's much, much cheaper. For what I used to spend in one month on smoking, I can get by for an entire year with the electronics. I did that math 5 years ago though, it's probably closer to 2 years with the electronic now.

fidobaxter

Hey there, unfortunately growing up my dad smoked at least two packs a day and smoked IN THE HOUSE! Of course, this was back in the early 80's, but I remember coming home from school and literally inhaling smoke as soon as I walked into the house. Started smoking at around 16,off and on, mainly in social situations only. After I got into my 20's, and was working full time, I took up more smoking because all my close coworkers did too. To make a long story short, I got into pain meds after  a knee injury, and was also prescribed dexedrine in my late 20's and 30's which intensified my craving to smoke when I got a buzz from the opiates, or stimulant, and when I  went out with friends to drink. By my mid 30's, I  wasn't taking much of anything since I  was now a mother, married, and a stay at home mom. But after my daughter entered elementary school I went back to work full time and bam I  slowly started smoking again and had my doc start prescribing me ADD meds (always suffered from ADD) for work purposes which doubled my smoking use.  Fast forward to four years ago, my dad suffered some bad shit.... Congestive heart failure, copd, and three heart attacks within a year's time. At the hospital with him in August 2012,  I stood in the hospital room with my dad and his Surgeon right after my dad got surgery and had stents (3) of them Surgically implanted. The surgeon was looking at me as I was a wreck, and explained what my dad had done, and that he had to stop smoking immediately. Weird thing happened ; my pocketbook slipped off my shoulder and guess what fell out of my bag; a new pack of cigarettes. The surgeon leaned down picked them up,  tossed them right into the waste basket.  He had the nurse write on a slip of paper the name of  an electronic cigarette she had used to stop smoking. I cried. I didn't think a Dr. Would care what I  did. The nurse wrote Blu cig, Walgreens.  Picked them up right after I left my dad at the hospital. That was August 12, 2012. Haven't smoked even one cigarette since that day. I occasionally smoke the electronic blu cig vanilla flavor, no nicotine. Never got another craving and I still use ADHD meds and benzos on occasion.  Worth a shot to try electronic cigs.   :) 

Edited by fidobaxter
spelling errors
  • Like 1

US Army Veteran

Yes I am not the only one who abuses drugs and doesn't smoke.... shit I thought I was the only one lol

Dumbass#1

You're not the only one @US Army Veteran, I also am addict who doesn't smoke. The thing that's even more peculiar to me (because I did smoke when I was quite younger) is when I stop using drugs to have some clean time I don't smoke then either. I would expect to smoke during those times but I don't.  

• Like 1

US Army Veteran
19 hours ago, Pooner2013 said:

You're not the only one @US Army Veteran, I also am addict who doesn't smoke. The thing that's even more peculiar to me (because I did smoke when I was quite younger) is when I stop using drugs to have some clean time I don't smoke then either. I would expect to smoke during those times but I don't.  

That's awesome. Now I do admit I do on rare occasions socially smoke a cig maybe 2 but that's not very often at all. I don't like the taste or smell

Edited by US Army Veteran
Typo plus add on
  • Like 1

US Army Veteran

Welcome to the Rare group!

• Like 1

US Army Veteran

Anyone else doesn't smoke it use other addictive substances?

Heavenlee

@US Army Veteran I take Benzs. but was able to quit smoking while I was in Florida- I got clean off narcotics and c so I decided I wanted to be healthy again- I got a fitbit and started getting up at 6:00 am and walked and half jogged everyday. I was up to 3 miles a day while I watched the sunrise on the ocean it was so peaceful. I couldn't believe all the elderly doing the same thing I was doing, They say if you quit moving when you get older you will die much sooner. Anyways I used Chantix to quit smoking and despite the horrible nightmares that came with it by I would say just one week I would try to smoke but one hit made me physically nauseous. So it was really easy for me if you do have nightmares- my husband quit also but he never had nightmares. I would say in two weeks we were done for good, I have a 3 month supply but I just quit and sit) have no urges it just makes me sick now being around cigarette smoke- but I'm not one of those snobby ex smokers! It's unhealthy as he'll but who am I to tell what other people to do with their bodies-

• Like 1

US Army Veteran
9 hours ago, Heavenlee said:

@US Army Veteran I take Benzs. but was able to quit smoking while I was in Florida- I got clean off narcotics and c so I decided I wanted to be healthy again- I got a fitbit and started getting up at 6:00 am and walked and half jogged everyday. I was up to 3 miles a day while I watched the sunrise on the ocean it was so peaceful. I couldn't believe all the elderly doing the same thing I was doing, They say if you quit moving when you get older you will die much sooner. Anyways I used Chantix to quit smoking and despite the horrible nightmares that came with it by I would say just one week I would try to smoke but one hit made me physically nauseous. So it was really easy for me if you do have nightmares- my husband quit also but he never had nightmares. I would say in two weeks we were done for good, I have a 3 month supply but I just quit and sit) have no urges it just makes me sick now being around cigarette smoke- but I'm not one of those snobby ex smokers! It's unhealthy as he'll but who am I to tell what other people to do with their bodies-

I'm a social smoker but don't smoke often at all. I'm glad I never got that habit! Congrats on quitting. Maybe I should recommend chantix to my daughters mother and my own mother too. Congrats honey!

• Like 1

Conceited

I got addictions and vape does that count as a smoker 

• Like 1

Toker
On 8/6/2018 at 7:16 AM, Conceited said:

I got addictions and vape does that count as a smoker 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HaHa, nah don't reckon that makes you qualify..🤔

I buy 30 a day but half of them or more get used on spliffs (No NOT with bud, but Hashish) 😋

I personally don't know many if any people that don't smoke and have addictions.

It's just one of those things that seems to come hand in hand with addiction..

Regards,  T.

kinsona

I quit smoking and alcohol about 25 years ago. Addictions I have in bundles not not nicotine or ethanol based..

• Haha 1

mountaincat9

Never smoked in my life.....anything!  But I love how clean and neat pills are!