Welcome to Drugbuyersguide

We Love You

wait4it

Virtual Private Network(s) - Scam or Valuable

wait4it

Info about VPN's are all over net ... A gadget site caught my eye talking about "keezel" ... Which led to what a VPN is etc. 

What's the deal, is it real / or a scam?

2earls

Where have our computer guys gone? We are lost without you!

• Like 1

wait4it

Where have our computer guys gone? We are lost without you!

Ya' think they went into a VPN & can't get back :) ?

• Like 1

wait4it

SEE ALSO Vpn TOPIC WITHIN PERSONAL ADVICE section above.

taavi90

IPVanish is probably best out there.

• Like 1

dbc23

They worth, mostly, if configured correctly. There was a recent vulnerability published showing how to break almost all current vpn connections and reveal a user's true IP published this week, but it's not a major concern. There's also a common DNS leak that can affect some protocols that you need to be sure you're configuring to avoid. 

Generally speaking they provide pretty good anonymity if the vpn provider is doing their job. 

Google for torrent freaks VPN guide to get a good breakdown of some of the biggest providers and whether they're any good. 

countryrufus

I use a VPN everytime I am online, on my laptop anyways. The one I use is called CyberGhost. I use the free version. The free version disconnects about every 2-3 hours and you have to reconnect it. Which takes about 5 minutes. If you buy it it doesn't disconnect. Very simple to use. All you do is press a button and it searches for available ip's and than transfers your current ip address to somewhere else. Example: It usually makes my new ip either in California, Washington, or New York. It's good if you don't want anybody knowing your business. Although I started to use it because at my work, they have some websites blocked and programs. So I have to use a VPN to access sites I want to goto.

Smoka90

AirVPN is my go-to. Very honest, they don't hand over information (believe me, many do...), and really quite cheap as well. I think they have a high reputation in general. =)

Kurt Codean

I use IPVanish too. It seems to be highly recommended if you search which VPNs are best for using the Tor Browser. Also I heard they don't log their client's activity, so if the Feds ever subpoena them, they don't really have any information of your online activity to give them. 

burnout

PIA

Worth every cent IMO.  ?

VII

I specialize in networking, a VPN can be very valuable to you depending on the provider. You need to find the right provider that does not log any information which is crucial. So long story short to maintain your privacy with a high encryption VPN would assist you further rather you're a home consumer or in business situations which require handling sensitive information. However, generally in business situations other security precautions are taken and a VPN isn't needed. 

For home use, it does provide good encryption of your data which is hard to trace or get into. I don't know if I'm allowed to list any of the ones that I know here or not so I'll just go with google the top results, read about them and decide for yourself.

Gotta remember, one rule of thumb VPN's aren't for everyone. They can be very expensive, the good and reliable ones at least. If you're worried about your security it wouldn't hurt looking into how they work and deciding if you need one or not. Many techs will tell you that you "NEED" one but in reality, it's not always for everyone. Yes it makes you safer but it's just a matter of what you do. If you're low profile you're less likely to be targeted by a hacker trying to phish your information for their own personal gain. So make sure your social media is set to friends-only or private, don't let out personal details online and you should be fine without needing one. 

Key is to stay under the radar and you most likely won't be a victim to these fiends out there. There's still a chance though, remember that. However a VPN doesn't fully secure yourself. So it also depends on what level of security you personally need. 

rifter
On 3/29/2016 at 8:03 PM, burnout said:

PIA

Worth every cent IMO.  ?

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I got burned using PIA... Apparently they don't really have a kill switch and I wasn't paying attention.. 

Rippedmover
Posted (edited)

PIA actually can track your email address, some payment information , etc.Good thread, apologies for also stoking old thread but several posts above country Rufus mentions his vpn disconnecting and having to reconnect it....that is what you don't want, because your ISP (unless other methods are also active) will reveal your ip address. Keep in mind, you want to know where the VPN'S servers are located. The one I use is located in Switzerland, out of US jurisdiction and they also aren't part of 14 eyes surveillance program. You want the same idea with email servers, my email and VPN are the same provider.

A garbage VPN and even a good quality one not set up properly are worthless. There are things I'm not going to try to explain,  but it's important to know what servers and what host country you are exiting out of when disconnecting the VPN / or what happens if it fails. 

Bear in mind, noone at NSA or in Langley are sitting at their desk watching you today. A lot talk around VPNs has caused every user to be under the impression they need one or else they are screwed.....VPNS are targeted towards large corporations to use originally. But sure, if you understand them, find a good one,  and then by all means use it.

Oh, and of course you never ever want to visit the DarkWeb without using a secure VPN and employing tails..  Even TOR or Onio browsers that come equipped with VPNs, that's BS. 

ALSO - if you are using the DarkWeb markets, make sure your magazine vendor is using PGP encryprion when communicating with you! And always always make sure to PGP encrypt your shipping address when using the markets!!

But as always- Rule #1: Don't immediately trust anyone. If things sound  too good to be true, they are. This is all about money. Never lose sight of that. My vendors are a business acquaintance. And they will agree. 

Start with your device and current operating software, research VPNs from there. Good luck.

Mover 

Edited by Rippedmover
Typos