We Love You

Heisenberg / HNB

A Reminder To Delete

Aunt Pitty Pat

Heard that Hberg

• Like 2

Jewbacca

Friday, November 23, 2012

FEDS VIEW PRIVATE EMAILS OVER 180 DAYS OLD AS 'ABANDONED' ALLOWING POLICE SEARCHES WITHOUT ANY JUDICIAL OVERVIEW

Most things have changed for the better since the Pony Express delivered fast mail, but at least back in the day the mail delivery system was safe from the prying eyes of the Government if not from an occasional robbery.  Defense attorneys are concerned to find that under antiquated Federal laws our email and internet privacy rights are not protected from Government inspection and intrusion. 

Under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 emails older than 180 days are not protected from Government intrusion because the email is considered abandoned. Once emails are considered abandoned any law enforcement agency can gain access to personal emails with a mere subpoena. 

There is no requirement for law enforcement agencies to obtain search warrants for any emails over 180 days old stored on an internet server nor stored in the cloud. Therefore there's no Judicial oversight over investigators who may abuse their subpoena power with impunity.

This is indeed a very significant area of concern among privacy rights advocates and legal professionals, and I encourage everyone to be diligent in reviewing and implementing the best practices outlined by Heisenberg and Hooter. These guys know their sh*t, to be blunt, and ANY messages left on an email server in excess of 180 days are indeed fair game, should prying eyes ever pay you a visit. In fact, this was the cover story on a recent issue of a leading legal industry periodical.

• Like 2

Packrat

Great thread, guys.

I went and took care of business.

I would only add that if anyone is using any proxy's, creative routing, remote access that you delete any traces you can as a matter of practice.

Has anyone come up with a solution for the trailing proxy entry?   

PR

Maybesomeday

Thanks for always providing us with information to keep us all safe.

I typically do delete old conversations, as I've had ex spouses threaten to cause trouble during divorce. Not fun.

Always try to keep a clean mailbox now. But a reminder is always welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_X_

Great thread, guys.

I went and took care of business.

I would only add that if anyone is using any proxy's, creative routing, remote access that you delete any traces you can as a matter of practice.

Has anyone come up with a solution for the trailing proxy entry?   

PR

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

CC cleaner man, the free shit

• Like 2

johnnog

anything important like email addys or menu lists i get are copied into a notepad file on an ext hard drive,emails then deleted quickly.

never put anything us folk talk about in subject lines(like the name of a med!),thats a dead give away for sure.

i delete email notifications from this site as soon as i have read whats said in the link,a lot of the time i dont choose to follow a topic so i dont get emails with the DBG in the header/subject line.

Paranoia isnt always harmfull,it can also keep you safe in the times we are living in.

Thanks for the advice H.

• Like 1

_X_

I just want to add that you can actually follow a topic so you get the red notifications when you sign in, but not get emails.  Just play with your cntls

Packrat

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

CC cleaner man, the free shit

Hi hooter,

Thanks for the always-helpful info. I' gonna check it out right now.

And, yeah, I turned off email notifying. I log in most days at least once or twice so the red tags work great for me.

Regards,

PR

Maybesomeday

I just want to add that you can actually follow a topic so you get the red notifications when you sign in, but not get emails. Just play with your cntls

Yep, that's how I have it set up. I do get emails for PMs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

_X_

Anytime yawl, any time :-)

johnnog

I just want to add that you can actually follow a topic so you get the red notifications when you sign in, but not get emails.  Just play with your cntls

Thanks didn't realise i could do that.

rockytop

this is really good advice, thanks!

jasmine3113

Good advice especially for people like me who don't have common sense.