Welcome to Drugbuyersguide

We Love You

Medical Records - UK

DGSB0708

.  HIPPA just made them more careful about it.  HIPPA is pretty much a joke.  While you will be clueless and at their mercy - IF you even have a doctor. I currently live in a very rural area.  None of the doctors in my area are even accepting new patients.  Most are NOT accepting new Medicare or Medicaid patients due to the ridiculously low rates they pay while Insurance companies are going to get raped (and people paying for insurance) so medical practices can survive increased costs/decreased pay.

I

HIPAA (not HIPPA) is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.  Antiquated law designed to .protect certain patient information under 2 categories (PHI - Protected Health Information, IIHI - Individually Identifiable Health Information).  Also hundreds of pages on how to prevent unnecessary dissemination of said information.  HIPAA was revamped by the HITECH Act (Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act) in 2009, which strengthened certain technological aspects of protection afforded to patients regarding HIPAA.  Recent changes have made Business Associates (vendors of care providers, hospitals, doctors, etc., known as Covered Entities under HIPAA) responsible to the same guidelines, civil and criminal penalties as the Covered Entity had been subject to.  All of that is related to privacy.  The Affordable Care Act (ACA) is going to be the thing that screws the system, most of all the patients.  Many will lose their employer sponsored coverage and be forced to pick from the exchange, where all plans will be high deductible and high co-pay plans.  Only rates that will suffer will me the 2% cut to Medicare.  100's of thousands will be forced to resort to Medicaid as it will be the only affordable option in the exchange. Once the exchange is fully operational, physicians will no longer have the luxury of refusing to treat M/M patents.  It's a provision of the ACA.  S-

• Like 1

dvz

We are all fucked. That's my eloquent statement on this whole atrocity.

• Like 1

mickuk

I'm not quite sure what people are actually wanting here,  but if requested you can get a copy of records in uk, even if by Freedom of Info request laws, for a fee but available.

Also, I've had an xray burned onto a cd for me without issue.

• Like 1

Phrenicz

Holy shit!... I dread to think what mine reads like?!

Although I am intrigued?.. It might be worth £50 just to see it ; )

tomwhittaker

Your Dr would probably give you a copy for free. Mine did.

Smoka90

I think next time I'm at my GP I'd like to see a copy of mine...I'd like to see 1. how messed up they think I am and 2. to see if they think I'm progressing...well within our rights here!

johnnog

We are all fucked. That's my eloquent statement on this whole atrocity.

Your batting on the same team dvz,you just gotta learn to laugh at some stuff or it really will drag ya down into the pit of misery where they want us,eyes diverted from the realities of the damage they are inflicting on a potential beautiful life.

Fuck em.

Are our whole medical histories available to us in the UK?God knows how big the files on me are,had a lot of different doctors all over the country,i hope its free or all that info of mine is going to cost a fair old bit of money,you'd think our own medical records should be free for us,but they'll try and make money from us yet again if they can do.

vixensora

Your batting on the same team dvz,you just gotta learn to laugh at some stuff or it really will drag ya down into the pit of misery where they want us,eyes diverted from the realities of the damage they are inflicting on a potential beautiful life.

Fuck em.

Are our whole medical histories available to us in the UK?God knows how big the files on me are,had a lot of different doctors all over the country,i hope its free or all that info of mine is going to cost a fair old bit of money,you'd think our own medical records should be free for us,but they'll try and make money from us yet again if they can do.

Just for the record, I've been hospitalised 3 times and none of my GPs knew. Also, when I registered with a new practice after finishing university I asked if the GP seeing me could see my records and he said no, that I would have to provide details of my previous practice for him to obtain them.

catch22

You should be able to access your medical records online for free at any surgery. All I needed for my surgery was 3 pieces of ID, 2 must be photo and 1 proof of address like a bill. I can go online and view all the problems, records, consultations, letters to hospital and back, lab results etc, plus I can also order my meds online. It's open to anyone and it's free, it's just not advertised widely but they must allow you unless you're  registered as a danger or they consider there's information that may be detrimental to your health. Otherwise stand up for your rights!

I got a decision not to do a knee arthroscopy following a GP concern, overturned based on a BS letter the person who examined me at the hospital wrote. I was fortunate to have a witness with me during the discussion and the letter to my GP was nothing like our conversation. We both wrote to the GP who re-referred me after hearing what we had to say and I had the arthroscopy done within a month and all is well now. The guy at the hospital obviously didn't know I could read his letter, having access to your medical records is a real eye opener, but you take the good with the bad. Sometimes when you're getting the runaround from Consultant's secretaries  etc, its handy to drop "I did read in Mr Consultant X letter to my GP that................". It seems to change their attitude. Everyone should access their medical records and be free of the hidden BS!!!

SleepyMonkey

Actually here in the US some docs and psychs do not use the same network. A lot independent software sales companies made a lot of money hiring programmers to write medical record keeping programs that were far and above better than when the gov't tried to link EPIC across the USA.

Now the PMP is an entirely different animal. That's here to stay.