Welcome to Drugbuyersguide

Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Florida Gov. Rick Scott signs law requiring welfare recipients to take drug test

Mike

"If Floridians want welfare, they better make sure they are drug-free.

Republican Gov. Rick Scott signed a bill on Tuesday that requires benefit recipients to undergo drug testing.

Applicants for the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program who test positive for illicit substances won't be eligible for the funds for a year, or until they undergo treatment.

Those who fail a second time would be banned from receiving the funds for three years.

"While there are certainly legitimate needs for public assistance, it is unfair for Florida taxpayers to subsidize drug addiction," Scott said. "This new law will encourage personal accountability and will help to prevent the misuse of tax dollars."

If welfare candidates pass the drug screening, they'll be reimbursed for the test.

The legislation instantly came under a barrage of criticism from the American Civil Liberties Union and several of the Sunshine State's Democrats. They argued the bill is an invasion of privacy."

Read more: http://www.nydailynehttp://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2011/06/01/2011-06-01_florida_gov_rick_scott_signs_law_requiring_welfare_recipients_to_take_drug_test_.html#ixzz1OPc1UyTN

What does he mean by "illicit"? Does the definition include legitimately prescribed substances or is that up for interpretation? Too bad as its a cheap housing market :(

,Hopefully it means crack, heroin, meth, etc. not prescription medication. If that's the case, sounds like a good idea to me.

johnnog

probably coming to the UK sometime soon,its more or less another part of the states as it is now.

i can imagine our ruling elite would love to introduce this here,there is currently a class war going on here,the working class poor or having any kind of social help cut or stopped altogether,our NHS is slowly being turned private.i see more and more people begging in the streeets these days,it used to be mostly drink or drug addicts,now its all sorts having to beg for a little change to feed themselves or put credit in their gas/electicity meters.

meanwhile,the richer folk in this country get big tax breaks and get richer and richer.

democracey,a good idea hijacked by by the greedy power seeking warmongering !%

yayaya

I know where these kinds of laws will take us and it won't be pretty.  Though I can't be too upset about it when I see so many mindless and lazy people around the U.S. now that just don't care and want to have a free ride.  In fact, the situation is so beyond repair that I've met many many people who make decent money (was decent money) and still take handouts.  These are people making sixteen dollars an hour and even that isn't enough if you have children to take care of.  The bottom line is things are going to completely crash financially.  This could turn out to be a new renaissance for people around the world or a collapse into a totally rigid control structure. 

I know people worry about a complete melt-down, but that will never happen.  What I think we face a real danger of is going backwards instead of forwards.  A new kind of dark age, so to speak.

• Like 1

johnnog

"I see so many mindless and lazy people around the U.S. now that just don't care and want to have a free ride"

yeah,same here in the UK, we call them bankers and politicians.

franklinthomas

Republican Gov. Rick Scott scares me.

holymoly

These people that think it's necessary to test welfare recipients are just plain bullys. 

landlady

This law if passed would have been extremely disruptive to us all. By declaring it necessary to provide your own money to test your own body substance  in order to qualify for any government assistance. O.K. first think of the children of the parent that might test positive. They can't eat because mommy smoked some weed 10 days ago? And unfortunately by giving the government that kind of control over one group of people what would prevent them from expanding it to all people. Personally I would be very angry if I had to take a urine test to get my tax return.  When it comes to our rights in this country we are all equal.