You are a guest user Click to join the site

Welcome Guest

Welcome to drugbuyersguide, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Drug Buyers Guide Forum by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Beta Blocker (Propranolol)

Jelag

• Members

Im having slight sharp chest pains when on it. And big pains all over chest when meds are wearing off.

You experienced that Soldier?

The Shattered Soldier

Im having slight sharp chest pains when on it. And big pains all over chest when meds are wearing off.

You experienced that Soldier?

No, I haven't experienced that at all.  These are very disconcerting side effects and you really need to talk to your doctor about it soon.  I can't even venture to guess why this is happening.  Please take care of yourself!

• Members

So I just got back from the DR. And he toled me it was nothing to worry about. Most likely caused by anxiety and inner muscles contractions. 

He could not tell me why I had these side effects, but he could ensure me it was not dangerous. I also toled him that I use to smoke many years ago and I could get some of the same pain. And again had to do with contractions in the lungs with muscles and stuff.

Having a hard time falling a sleep and staying asleep. But maybe that will change over time !

• Emerald Sponsor

Hi,

I take 5 mg Bystolic (generic I believe is Nebivolol) and not to sound corny but this medication has changed my life. About 2 years ago I developed horrible anxiety mainly focused around health (due to bone marrow transplant and reliving the psychological effects of the transplant due to the big C diagnosis). Granted the transplant was many years ago. The anxiety was so bad I literally could not function at my job or in life. Tried 10 mg Paxil and Ativan. Helped some but I thought I'd never be back to my normal self again. Coming from a person who used to think anxiety was all made up! Ha! Wrong, wrong, wrong! The Bystolic worked immediately. It has been a Godsend and for the last year I've felt like my old self. Side effects at first was just some drowsiness but that subsided after a couple weeks.

Just wanted to put my two cents in. Beta blockers has given me back normalcy.

• Members

Hi,

I take 5 mg Bystolic (generic I believe is Nebivolol) and not to sound corny but this medication has changed my life. About 2 years ago I developed horrible anxiety mainly focused around health (due to bone marrow transplant and reliving the psychological effects of the transplant due to the big C diagnosis). Granted the transplant was many years ago. The anxiety was so bad I literally could not function at my job or in life. Tried 10 mg Paxil and Ativan. Helped some but I thought I'd never be back to my normal self again. Coming from a person who used to think anxiety was all made up! Ha! Wrong, wrong, wrong! The Bystolic worked immediately. It has been a Godsend and for the last year I've felt like my old self. Side effects at first was just some drowsiness but that subsided after a couple weeks.

Just wanted to put my two cents in. Beta blockers has given me back normalcy.

Thank you for sharing

Do you know why it worked for you? How did you feel it changed you?

• Emerald Sponsor

Hi Jelag,

About 2 years ago my anxiety went into overdrive after what to me was a horrific experience with my first time taking an SSRI. 20 mg of Lexapro set me into what I believe was serotonin syndrome and a visit to the ER. The worst part of that experience was the depersonalization and sheer terror I had experienced. Imagine the initial terror you feel if you were walking in your neighborhood and you saw a huge stray dog running at you baring its teeth on the verge of attack. That initial terror you'd feel is the type of terror i felt for 6 hours and the worst part was at the time I couldn't understand what caused this. After that, I never felt normal. The fear of that happening again along with terrible anxiety about cancer or some other life threatening illness would set me into waves of panic causing preoccupation with researching for hours whatever condition I thought I had. Logic was still there but had no baring on helping calm me. When I started Bystolic, that vicious cycle of panic was broken. I might have the thought about cancer but it was a passing thought rather than a thought stemming into a panicked obsession because there was little or no adrenal response to the thought. I take one 5mg pill per day and that's perfect. My experience with Bystolic was very similar to your post on 2/17 where you shared your experience.

My heart goes out to everyone going through debilitating anxiety and anxiety beyond what we feel in normal life. Keep searching because there are wonderful meds and other treatment options that can give you back normalcy.

Lana

• Members

Hi Jelag,

About 2 years ago my anxiety went into overdrive after what to me was a horrific experience with my first time taking an SSRI. 20 mg of Lexapro set me into what I believe was serotonin syndrome and a visit to the ER. The worst part of that experience was the depersonalization and sheer terror I had experienced. Imagine the initial terror you feel if you were walking in your neighborhood and you saw a huge stray dog running at you baring its teeth on the verge of attack. That initial terror you'd feel is the type of terror i felt for 6 hours and the worst part was at the time I couldn't understand what caused this. After that, I never felt normal. The fear of that happening again along with terrible anxiety about cancer or some other life threatening illness would set me into waves of panic causing preoccupation with researching for hours whatever condition I thought I had. Logic was still there but had no baring on helping calm me. When I started Bystolic, that vicious cycle of panic was broken. I might have the thought about cancer but it was a passing thought rather than a thought stemming into a panicked obsession because there was little or no adrenal response to the thought. I take one 5mg pill per day and that's perfect. My experience with Bystolic was very similar to your post on 2/17 where you shared your experience.

My heart goes out to everyone going through debilitating anxiety and anxiety beyond what we feel in normal life. Keep searching because there are wonderful meds and other treatment options that can give you back normalcy.

Lana

Did they ever diagnose you with what happened? Have you had anxiety problems befor this happened?

Im just curious and want to learn as much as I can about anxiety.

• Emerald Sponsor

Hi,

No, they never diagnosed me with what happened.  At the ER they just said it was a panic attack.  It sounds strange and doctors I've talked to say it's unlikely but this happened about 1-1/2 days after I took the lexapro.  Upon taking the lexapro I just felt very agitated and moody (after I'd been joking and laughing with my mom 30 min earlier).  I hated the way it made me feel.  Decided not to take another.  Then about one and a half days after the Lexapro pill (took Lexapro Thursday evening and the ER visit happened Saturday early afternoon), what I'd described happened.  Prior to this I'd never had a panic attack in my life and the anxiety I did have was I'd say more than the average person but I can't recall really having anxiety attacks.  Ultimately after that, the anxiety went through the roof and I had to see a psychiatrist for the first time in my life.  He diagnosed me with GAD and prescribed Paxil.  I was so freaked out about taking another SSRI that I would take the 20 mg Paxil and cut it into 8 pieces and I swear I felt worsened anxiety after taking it.  Not sure if it was real or because of the fear of that happening again.  I've gradually gone up to 10 mg Paxil and have no side effects from it.

How about you, how are you doing with the Propranolol?

• Members

Hi,

No, they never diagnosed me with what happened.  At the ER they just said it was a panic attack.  It sounds strange and doctors I've talked to say it's unlikely but this happened about 1-1/2 days after I took the lexapro.  Upon taking the lexapro I just felt very agitated and moody (after I'd been joking and laughing with my mom 30 min earlier).  I hated the way it made me feel.  Decided not to take another.  Then about one and a half days after the Lexapro pill (took Lexapro Thursday evening and the ER visit happened Saturday early afternoon), what I'd described happened.  Prior to this I'd never had a panic attack in my life and the anxiety I did have was I'd say more than the average person but I can't recall really having anxiety attacks.  Ultimately after that, the anxiety went through the roof and I had to see a psychiatrist for the first time in my life.  He diagnosed me with GAD and prescribed Paxil.  I was so freaked out about taking another SSRI that I would take the 20 mg Paxil and cut it into 8 pieces and I swear I felt worsened anxiety after taking it.  Not sure if it was real or because of the fear of that happening again.  I've gradually gone up to 10 mg Paxil and have no side effects from it.

How about you, how are you doing with the Propranolol?

So this happened after one day using lexapro? Have you considered it might have been a psychosis? Some people are more vulnerable for psychosis, and anti depressants can cause that too. But im sure you have talked abouit all that with your psychiatrist.

Im having really bad sleep issues and emotional unsettling dreams. So I might actually just use it occasionally.

• Members

Update about the chest pains. I forgot to write in here in case annyone else reads this.

My doctor said he would be more conserned if I had these pains on anny other beta blockers (Type 1 and type 2) I think it was. It was not a concern when using propranolol.

• Emerald Sponsor

Yes, after just one Lexapro. Maybe it was an SSRI induced psychosis and there is no doubt I am super sensitive to SSRI's. Should have never started on 20 mg. My psychiatrist won't speculate about it. My visits with him just went from once every 3 months to every six and are usually 10 minutes long.

Have you tried taking Ativan at bedtime? I actually remember having strange dreams when starting Paxil but they subsided.

• Emerald Sponsor

For piece of mind about the chest pains, have you had a stress test or an echocardiogram?

• Members

Ive heard of that before people getting psychotic like symptons after taking antipsychotic medications, and anti depressants. Some people freak out on them. And I think doctors dont like to admit it.

Yea medication for sleep helps but I dont want to take meds for sleep because I have a good sleep patern naturally now.

Im not worried as the doctor took some test on me and said it was not necessary but thanks for the advice

• Emerald Sponsor

Best of luck to you :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

It will not help with nervousness or anxiety at all, but it will stop your heart from beating so fast that you think you will have a heart attack.